Now that you’ve given yourself permission to be human and let go of the challenges surrounding perfection in learning and teaching Shurley English, let me speak to you first-year Shurley users and teachers that are just simply struggling teaching the curriculum.
Here are my Top 10 Tips to surviving the FIRST YEAR FREAK-OUT:
1. Become pals with a veteran Shurley teacher, if possible. (If not, see #2)
2. Keep the Teacher’s Manual by your side or in your hands…and follow it page by page.
3. Preview each lesson before you teach it. (That doesn’t mean memorize it.)
4. STICK to the SCRIPT; AVOID ADDING “EXTRAS” to the lesson.
5. Get to know www.shurley.com to view demos, tutorials, our Facebook page and YouTube channel.
6. Establish & utilize strong, effective classroom & time management guidelines and strategies.
7. Teach Shurley English as though you’ve been teaching it for years.
“Fake it till you make it!” Your confidence will increase with experience.
8. Allow yourself to learn alongside your students; they will start to see you as a human being, like them.
9. Accept that YOU WILL MAKE MISTAKES in front of your students.
(If this one is hard to swallow, please reread #8.)
10. HAVE FUN!